Tuesday 16 September 2008

It's been a while,...

It’s been a while so I’m not sure where to start - too much has happened.

I’ll tell you about my birthday. It was amazing!!!! It sort of turned out to be a bigger party than I had expected. You see, two weeks before the actual day, I’d reserved a section in Jrink (it’s the correct spelling - thanks for noticing). The bar called me a week before and said we couldn’t have a booth because they’d over booked. They said they could arrange seating on the area near to the bar with the high stools. I politely declined. I spent most of that day at work wondering where to go/do. I’d already sent out the invites which didn’t help and it was only 5 days to go. I decided I’d go through town after work to check some venues out. On my way to Soho, I remembered one of my friends reserving an area in Bar LVPO (pronounced Lupo). I went there, checked the place out, spoke to the manager and he said they had room for about 15 more people. On top of that they’d throw in a few food platters. Yippee!! I couldn’t wait for the Saturday. I was woken up early on Saturday by someone wanting to take me out to lunch – I declined. I’ve learned years ago that an early start to birthday celebrations leads to – ruined birthdays. I decided to take it easy, stay at home, make myself a lovely lunch (alone) then meet with everyone later.

I got to the bar at 8.30pm sharp like I’d booked. I don’t like lateness when it comes to things like this. I also got a bit bored at home so I decided to head out into town. Got into the bar and shock horror - no one there. I thought ‘oh shit - this is when you realise you are not as popular as you are’. You invited all these people and no one is going to turn up. The bastards didn’t start arriving till after 9.15pm. I felt like a right knob sat there all alone drinking wine like a lone tramp on a park bench. To make matters worse they all colluded and thought it would be funny to turn up late. Like I said earlier I hate tardiness. They all did turn up in the end though even those that had not been invited. Come the end of the night (around 4.00am) there were around 30 people. We then moved to Vauxhall to extend our night of raucous fun. Good fun it was too. We started off at Embankment Bar, and then went to Fire. You’ll forgive me for I seem to have lost a couple of hours in between. The next time I looked at a watch I was dancing profusely in on the little stage thing in the main dance room. I carried on till around 2.00pm when I decided to go home. I had to get some rest because of work the next day.

We all decided to leave. I made my way to the tube I dread to think what the public thought of me. Apparently I still looked wrecked as one of my friends said. I beg to differ – although, one may argue that I might not have been able to tell. We were all going in different direction, so I decided to head off home. I took the train to Marylebone – not sure why but I think I wanted to stop off at a friend's near Harrow to pick my jacket. I didn’t mind the journey because he lives right near the station. So I got on the train, I’m not sure what happened after that but the next time I woke up I was in Birmingham New Street. It was coming to 5pm and I should have been catching some sleep, chilling out in bed or watching crappy Sunday TV. To make matters worse, there was flooding somewhere in the Chilterns, Buckinghamshire and part of the train track was flooded. As a result, there were no trains to London. We waited for almost another 1 hour for the engineers to sort the water out – how this was done I have no idea. Eventually, the train did arrive. This was followed by a human stampede all whom trying to get their bums down for the long journey. I had no more energy by this so I decided to walk, got onto the train; there were obviously no more seats left so I decided to seat on the floor. The train left, luckily, it was not going to stop anywhere between Birmingham and London. I got off and walked home and went straight to bed.

There, a massive anti-climax to what should have been a really lovely weekend. I don’t mind though because these things happen. It certainly won’t stop me going out next time.

No comments: